[Gambas-user] Probable bug in Postgres db driver

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Wed Feb 25 21:49:00 CET 2009

I've posted about this before in regards to the PictureDatabase example, as in
postgres though you can save the picture, it dosn't retreive. I had asked
someone to test it, though no-one appears to have had the time.

This driver is pretty critical to my medical records project, as I used to be
able to save images of skin lesions/Xrays, diagrams, line drawings, back to
my database and now can save but the retreived image is chopped losing a
number of bytes from the end and won't display.

 I want to be able to present my program at a medical computing conference in
July as a prototype version reasonably fully complete by then, so I need it
to work. All this work of mine by the way will be open-sourced  if I can get
it to a state of functional completeness.

So I asked my mate Ian Haywood, who is quite an accomplished programmer and
far far brighter and more computer literate than I  by sending him this
message

> If you updated the latest  gambas - you don't need my program to test this -
> just change a couple of lines of code in the picturedatabase sample program
> to use postgres and you will see the error. Maybe, it is only on my machine.

and this was his reply:

I can reproduce this. It is only postgres, only gambas, and only with the
BYTEA type, TEXT doesn't do this (but you can't put a png in text, at least
not easily).

So, it's definitely a bug in the postgres drivers for gambas.
Has this been reported to the gambas list?

There is a workaround: convert the png to text and store, then convert back on
reading. this works b/c our images are small, but big images will waste space
and cause slowness. this solution is fairly easy to whip up, I can do this if
the underlying bug can't be fixed and we want this functionality for
10240cc[conference].

Ian

So I wondered if somone could test the postgres driver again, just to make
sure it is not a library on my machine, although I know Ian runs a debian
flavour so probably not.

Regards

Richard