[Gambas-user] Help with some parsing

Tue Feb 17 23:14:49 CET 2009

Emil Tchekov ha scritto:
> CHR$(10) & CHR$(13) - carriage return & line feed
> Those are special "command" character from the "stone age" of the informatic
> used to go to the next line (add new line) - was needed in the times where a
> martix printer with ink ribbon the single output device of the computer
> was....

Pardon me to point out. I disagree,
chr$(13) is CR; chr$(10) is LF.
While it is true they are an old standard, saying they are "from the
stone age" is not fair. HTTP protocol relies on CR-LF, and you must
admit that HTTP protocol is well alive - not a "stone age" standard. The
fact CR-LF is so old is a proof of its power.
Moreover, text files are the most expressive and versatile form of
digital data. Html, Xml, Svg, Postscript, PDF, are all in wide use and
are based on ASCII, and so they contain CR-LF sequences.

The fact Unix/Linux uses a single LF instead of a CR-LF is pretty
marginal - it was simply a design choice. A windows HTTP server can take
text files from disk and serve them verbatim, while a Unix HTTP server
has to translate them (to add the missing CR). Anyway, the concept is
the same. Most programs today can cope perfectly well with this two
standars.

In the end, the only thing I wanted to say is that CR and LF are far
more than what you depicted, and they are still needed.

Doriano Blengino

"Listen twice before you speak.
This is why we have two ears, but only one mouth."