[Gambas-user] Help with converting text in field to number

richard terry rterry at ...1946...
Mon Feb 2 21:38:40 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 06:45:14 am werner 007 wrote:
> Hello Richard
>
> For me it looks you want use "Group By" instead Unions in SQL to get the
> Resultset like
>
> > xaxes-text|count|display_order
> >  5-6             5               1
> >  6-7           100            2
> > over 7       10              3
>
> And to deal with Number vs Text you could use Regexp in MySQL (maybe other
> SQL engines too)
>
> > select
> >     reference_range as XAxes_text,
> >    ,count (value) as count
> >    , at row:=@row+1 as display_order
> > From (SELECT @row:=0) as r, clin_requests.vwResults
> > Where value RegExp '[0-1]'
> > Group by reference_range
>
> Just as idea.
>

> Regards, Werner(007)

Thanks, I'll try this on the weekend and report back. I ended up taking the
easy way out (benoit's suggestion) to create a numerical column. When I'm
saving the data I do a Try val (The string) and if it converts to numerical I
save that, otherwise insert a null value). This works fine, however I will
try yours.

richard