[Gambas-user] Type of Variables possible?

Kadaitcha Man nospam.nospam.nospam at ...626...
Tue Dec 29 13:54:18 CET 2009

2009/12/29 Dr. Diesel <dr.diesel at ...626...>:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Kadaitcha Man <
> nospam.nospam.nospam at ...626...> wrote:

> Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

>  I just need to confirm if it is not currently possible
> in gambas3 or am I just doing something wrong?

I love having a choice. It's either you or Gambas that's at fault :0

It's you. You need a different mindset.

I believe I addressed your issue directly in an earlier reply. In VB,
Global is synonymous with Public, but Global really means "drop your
knickers and spread your legs for everyone in Paris. Hell, go the
whole hog! The WORLD!!!!" in VB. In Gambas, Public means "drop your
knickers and spread your legs only to those who ask nicely."

Crude, hey. But that's me.

Perhaps you started with Gambas as I did, having a vital VB app that
had to be moved to Linux asap, and jumped in head first without
checking the depth of the water. Look, I agonised over this stuff. I
went so far as to consider a Qt GUI with a fortran or Pascal back-end,
but I persisted with Gambas and it paid off.

If I were to offer you some genuinely good advice, it would be not be
to try and port the application on the first ball. You need to
experiment, an awful lot, to come to terms with the differences
between Gambas and VB. You need to first see if the GUI is even
remotely reproducible. Then you need to know the difference between
/r/n and crlf and standard line breaks in Linux, and escape
characters. The list never ends. Then, when you think you've got it
all tied down you'll need to convert your local time now into Timbuktu
time now. Even stuff as simple as Drag/Drop is different. Heck, even
Clipboard is different.

However, once the GUI is reproducible, the difference between /r/n and
crlf and a line break in Linux is known, and it's second nature to
convert your local time now into Timbuktu time now, and both Drag/Drop
and Clipboard have been mastered, the rest really is BASIC.

I don't know if the mailing list can cope with a VB to Gambas
conversion thread, but being mindful of the fact that the mailing list
exists so others may learn, you are welcome to email me privately
under the proviso that your conversion experience and mine form part
of a freely available work that benefits other Gambas users.