[Gambas-user] Installing Gambas2

Jean-Yves F. Barbier 12ukwn at ...626...
Sat Aug 29 18:10:37 CEST 2009

Bill-Lancaster a écrit :
> Jean - thanks for the quick reply.
> I get "permission denied" when I try to navigate to root.

whao, I think you misunderstood me: I didn't say cd to /root,
I said BE the root user. (but anyway, that is not normal to be
refused /root access as a user @ least for read, except of course
for some sensible files)

If you don't know how to go to root from user, type:
su -      (the '-' IS important: man su)
then enter the password of root user;
normally the prompt will change from '$' (user) to '#' (root)
and you'll be really root user.

When you reach this point, 'cd /pathofzesource', 'make clean',
'./configure', and 'make install' should do the work.

> What is "fakeroot" ?

As I only use Debian it may be typical from it.
It creates a pseudo-root environment and allow you to make some stuffs
only root is permitted (but I re-read the doc and it was a bad idea: you
can manipulate root files, but not install to system path with it)

JY
--
Just because your doctor has a name for your condition doesn't mean he
knows what it is.