[Gambas-user] webcam weirdness

Jean-Yves F. Barbier 12ukwn at ...626...
Tue Aug 25 02:56:35 CEST 2009

Ron_1st a écrit :
> The pwc driver returns a v4l2 installation.
> The gb.v4l component can't handle v4l2 complet/correct but only v4l1 ATM

normally no: ie: camstream uses the v4L1 compatibility mode that I compiled
into my kernel (but may be the program spcifically "ask" for that mode, which
could explain why it don't work with MyWebCam)

> I have the same problem with the philips cams, i.e. PCVC645, and flash (adobe)
> and i'm using flashcam package http://flashcam.sourceforge.net
> A project to make Adobe Flash for Linux support V4L2 webcams or video devices.

I avoid using adobe products in general (not free, super-bloatted, unexistant
security (a very small worm is enough to activate it and spy you through
flash webcam/mike facility); and you don't know what is transmitted to adobe),
and flash in particular, as it don't have *any* interest in it.
(the only thing it does very well is making my old CPU jump straight to 100%
each time I'm obliged to use it.)

> It's using a modified vloopback from the motion project.
> This is in use for webcam on the intraweb site.

I successfuly installed Ekiga in many places: it is fully m$n compatible,
can uses many sound codecs, and the H264 video mode has really an amazing
quality (on a LAN, and if you have a good WC, you're close to DVD quality:)
Try it, you'll love it.

> Ron_1st

JY_666th
--