[Gambas-user] Need help / call for volunteers

Joshua Higgins joshiggins at ...1601...
Mon Aug 24 21:11:51 CEST 2009

OK, So I've thought about this.... It seems that its not feasible to expect
only one /etc/*-release or any file describing the distribution. As M0E Lnx
said, most derivatives will have more than one. Detecting using the * symbol
is also too unreliable, and cannot handle multiple matches easily.

I've attached report-ng, which hopefully should reliably detect every distro
listed on this page http://gambasdoc.org/help/doc/distro?en&view, including
Vector (not currently listed).

Its similar to the os-prober script, except its much much easier to add
support for detection of more distributions. Its a good idea to place
derivative distributions before the distro that they are based on in the
script, so that those locations are checked first, and it doesn't, for
example, report Vector as being Slackware, because the script found
slackware's version file first and so stops looking.

This script also finds the path to the gambas executables, and suppresses
error messages making it into the output file.

It might also be handy to ask the user if the script is unable to identify
the distro properly, and send the data back to whoever maintains this for
adding detection in.

Please test this if you can...
--
joshua higgins