[Gambas-user] making an animated demo

Jean-Yves F. Barbier 12ukwn at ...626...
Wed Aug 5 07:02:47 CEST 2009

M0E Lnx a écrit :
> Definitely NX
>
> I've tested X over ssh, vnc, X11vnc and none of them compare to the
> speed and quality of NX
> I do all of my gambas developent over a NX environment.
> My host box is in SLC, Utah, and I'm sitting @ a desk in Stafford, TX.
>
> Response is perfect...No network lag (unless I'm downloading something
> big to the host box)
>
> NX is a bit more of a pain to setup than vnc or X over ssh, but it's
> well worth the effort

Yes you where right: I didn't pushed my tests further because I first had a glance
(with iptraf) to a former application using a 258KB photo as a wallpaper; iptraf
showed peaks up to 300KB/s at most (no ssh), and 180KB/s at least (ssh+xephyr),
while average was taken @ ~33KB/s.

The same "test" (opening gambas, launch the application and play a bit with it)
with FreeNX settled in MODEM mode showed peaks up to... 20.8KB/s, and most of the time
its instant debit couldn't event be measured by iptraf, as it stabilize its counter
toward 1s slices.

So the (very) big winner is FreeNX (in any way, because if it was a PITA to get it
working, once it was done I could easily test a whole session or just an application.)

My only regreat was with dxpc I wasn't able to correctly run, which docs (and pgm)
are outdated and collides with manpage or other docs; as there were several changes
in program that don't mix together (seems that it is in fact the ancestor of NX.)

FreeNX is also the  big winner in term of reponsivity: my application showed even
faster than through a Xephyr client withOUT compression neither SSH!

I did not thought its efficiency was so impressive on overall performance.

JY