[Gambas-user] webbrowser

Mr. Robert the.at.robert at ...626...
Tue Apr 28 23:31:06 CEST 2009

I don't know much about this unfortunately, but I must admit, i LOVE VB6. I
mean, i'm a c/c++, & php programmer mostly, but vb4 is the first ide i used
since starting with basic at age 11, and vb6 is my favorite of all of the
M$h!!T vs editions. .net is an absolute joke.... just write a custom control
in c and you can emulate .net almost exactly with little extra effort, and
heck, you can even use vb6 to create custom controls if you don't know c.

that said, i have experienced gambas to be an EXCEPTIONAL project (even
better as opensource ;) ), little issues come up where i miss the implicity
and simplicity of vb6, but considering how different the projects are and
that gambas is basically a one-man + community operation, its amazing. I
still like coding in vi or gedit for my c/php work, but for RAD purposes
gambas fills that void in linux.

I've written apps in both vb6 and gambas2.4/6 which interact with webpages
(mostly without a gui), i use sockets and string manipulation functions.
depending on your application, it may be possible to get the html direct
using sockets, and write to a local temp. file before displaying to the
user. (if you are just displaying a page with markup language, trying to use
this method as a webbrowser would require a hook somewhere, preferably
between clicking the link and the browsers decision to load the page or not,
but since i am unfamiliar with this control in gambas, i doubt this is
possible. )

sorry for the rant, i'd just like to say i really think gambas is a great
piece of software, but it doesn't replace vb6. its not designed to be a vb6
replacement, but functionality is added all the time to help ease the
transition for people.

good day!