[Gambas-user] Catch NULL character

nando nando_f at ...951...
Mon Apr 20 02:43:39 CEST 2009

Actually, the NULL character is a true character.
Specifically, it is CHR$(0)  <---zero.
It is an actual character in ASCII and other sets.

Alternatively, NULL is used in databases, Java, C, others
to describe certain situation.

Java: Null pointer is a pointer which has a value of zero and
therefore is an invalid reference and you'll get an exception.

C: Same thing, you'll get a seg fault or similar.

Databases: If the datatype is defined can be null, then the absence
of any value is NULL.  It is completely possible to have a VARCHAR
and not allow null and have a string stored with CHAR(zero) in it.
It is a NULL character and not the NULL situation.
The lack of any string is a NULL situation and not a NULL character.

Usually, the absence of assigning a variable a value will result in
a NULL situation, not a NULL character.

Make sure you've got it correct or confusing results will follow.
-Fernando