[Gambas-user] UTF-8 in ListBox and ComboBox - Gambas1

Tue Sep 16 08:43:06 CEST 2008

Rolf-Werner Eilert ha scritto:
> Anyway, thinking it over, I had the idea to use a separate list (array)
> with correct values and only use the index property of the ComboBox to
> point to it. So I'll be back at my own philosophy of "never use UI
> elements for storage" but keep UI and data strictly apart.

Could you explain better why you think "never use UI to store data"?

I am not sure why, but I always thought the same. Just now I am writing
a piece of code which makes heavy use of UI elements to store internal
data (which the user can edit, of course), and I have an uneasy
feeling... but can't focus on it...

Surely, it is not good to involve X server (and the toolkits in the
middle) to store data, but how much they are involved? May be everything
is cached in "gambas memory". If this is the case, then shadowing
everything could be pretty useless, and lead instead to logic errors. I
must add that I am working with plain ascii strings.

Regards,
Doriano Blengino