[Gambas-user] Nice book of Gambas

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Wed Sep 3 14:43:15 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 07:57, Ron_1st wrote:
> The publisher wil not make it GPL if they can have financial profit
> of it when they sell the book.

Does the publisher even own the copyright in this case?  Rittinghouse used a
vanity press, by the looks of the book a print-on-demand one, and they often
don't.  I would check my copy but it's still packed following my most recent
move.  If he'd used CafePress or Lulu I would feel safe saying they
absolutely don't own it, but as I recall he used a different one.

At any rate, the biggest obstacle to wikifying the book was the fact that we
don't have the original document.  Even then it'd take a lot of work.
Benoit's original Gambas documentation was much shorter and it still took me
weeks to get it into the original Gambas wiki.... which eventually fell into
disrepair and disorganization, just as I think the one based on this book
eventually would.  MediaWiki is a better wiki than TWiki was, but a book needs
a fundamental organization to it.

I think that if someone wants to proceed with this, you'll need to get in
touch with John -- or, if the worst has happened, with his estate.

Rob