[Gambas-user] Nice book of Gambas

Ron Onstenk ronstk at ...239...
Tue Sep 2 09:26:03 CEST 2008

On Monday 01 September 2008, admin at ...1956... wrote:
> Quoting gambas at ...1938...:
>
> > Am Montag, 1. September 2008 21:14:43 schrieb admin at ...1956...:
> >> Kari,
> >>
> >> I won't install the wiki till you have permission from John R.and the
> >> source to the original content. I will leave the
> >> http://gambas.allbasic.info sub-domain active till no hope is left.
> >>
> >> I'm still counting on you to get to the bottom of this.
> >>
> >> John
> > Sorry...but what are you trying to do here?? ...you have an "allbasic-site"
> > and want it to be a central site for "all" basic dialects. ...so go for
> > it!! ...search for the author of the book and drop him a mail, but stop
> > pushing other people into fire, which flames cook your meal!
> >
> > Greetz
> > Stevie
>
> I was willing to accommodate the request to save the efforts put into
> an open document that is getting stale by the day. If my contributions
> and kindness aren't needed or appreciated then I will remove the
> Gambas sub-domain and let the book die a slow death.
>
> Sorry I even mentioned it.
>
> John

In my view Stevie is right, You are the one that republish the book in all ways.

If it is changed to a wiki site point 2 a) of the opendocument licence will be
in affect and difficult to fullfill.

So _you_ need the written permission to host it anyway and not the word I have
got it by mouth from J.R., Benoit or any other person.
You are only allowed to host the unmodified pdf for redistribution to members
of the gambas community as said in the first part of the book (1st page of text).

Don't forget it is published as a _real_ book and J.R. has also an agrement with
the publisher and it is posible he evem does not have the right to give permission.

The fact that it is available as pdf, and specail mentioned to the gambas community,
does not mean J.R.only has all the rights for permision,
The book as script is sold to the publisher as J.R. will have got money for it.
Most cases publishing, and copyrights, are hands over.

Did you read the watermark in the pdf, that is the reason you find the trouble
when you try to print it and the document is protected.
With KPDF you (or I) can't copy past text to the clipboard.
That will be a need restriction from the book puslisher for a permsion to release it as pdf.
Gambas users, the group who mostly will buy it, get this way a preview before the actual buy.
I wish I got such previews from books of Stephen King :)

Ron_1st