[Gambas-user] Nice book of Gambas

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Sep 1 14:20:12 CEST 2008

On lundi 01 septembre 2008, KI have nari Laine wrote:
> > Kari,
> >
> > I tried as well.
> >
> > Can you take the lead on getting the password or the original source
> > document?
> >
> > John
>
> Hi John,
>

> I think there is no password on the file because I commented a test in
> pdftohtml to ignore some kind of protection and out it came. BUT there is
> no layout, no pictures only the text. So it is big job to turn it to a nice
> document. Anyway the screen capture pictures would probably be old anyway.
>
> I read the OpenContent license of the book and if I understood right it
> would make difficult to produce derivative work or wiki - quite impossible
> in fact.
>
> Maybe someone with leverage - Benoit - could contact John W Rittinghouse
> and ask.

I have no news from him since he sent me its book. I think I have lost its
email in my annual email bleedings.

> Fact is Gambas needs more documentation to lure users.

I agree. If only I have more time!

> Also I would be
> prepared to pay for a technical document how Gambas works. I have used now
> countles hours and I have just scratched the surface. Either I am darn
> stupid or Benoit is about to win obfuscated code contest :-) before this
> day I know very little about compilers and interpreters and I am not very
> good with C - so it is going to take few months...

Maybe this is the main reason of your problems. I admit I don't document my
code a lot, but I don't obfuscate it at all.

If you choose good symbol names, and if you do logical things, your code is
usually almost explain itself.

I will try to comment the interpreter better now I know that somebody tries to
understand it. And I will answer your questions too. But you should first
really learn the C language and get some information about compilers and
interpreters.

> And Windows version would be nice too :-)

I won't do it. But if there is a volunteer, I will help him.

> Best Regards
> Kari Laine

Benoit Minisini