[Gambas-user] MD5SUM collisions

Kari Laine klaine8 at ...626...
Fri Oct 24 21:10:54 CEST 2008

Hi,

referring to discussion few days back I have now tested md5sum with 540388
files and got NO collisions - I think. Method I used was to calculate md5sum
and sha512sum for all those files.
then I asked from database distinct total values for both fields and they
come up with the same number. In my thinking if there would have been
collisions with md5sum then numbers should have differed.
Problem is that if md5sum and sha512sum would have collisions with the same
file - but I think that's quite unlikely - is it?

I make my backup program to take a file identified by sha512sum and size. I
am not going to run compare for all the files because that would take a
month with my machine. Calculating the checksums took about a week because
there were total 1240333 files. So lot of duplicates which is exactly why I
want to make the program copy files only once.

Best Regards
Kari Laine