[Gambas-user] Binary compare of files?

Fri Oct 17 08:18:20 CEST 2008

Kari Laine ha scritto:
> Hi All,
>
> could someone please give me a hint how compare two files for binary
> equality?
> I am doing it now int by int basis and it is taking years. I would like to
> read big chunks of both files and compare.
> Also I am thinking a possibility to read whole files in memory at once and
> then compare.

I think you can read chunks of 256, 512, 1024 or more:

  do
    read #file1, s1, -256
    read #file2, s2, -256
    if s1<>s2 then
      files_are_different()
      break
    endif
  while len(s1)=256

Note the "-256" which reads up to 256 bytes, or up to the end of file.
Ideally, the higher the number the quicker should be, but some
experiment should be done. May be 8192, 16384 or so could do well.

I didn't try this, however.

Regards,
Doriano