[Gambas-user] Possible bug in Gambas

Ron_1st ronstk at ...239...
Thu Oct 16 03:19:38 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 15 October 2008, Kari Laine wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Ron_1st <ronstk at ...239...> wrote:
>

> > What should stand on the ??, (welche buchstaben?)
>
> My german is almost nonexistent. Those files were collected years back when
> archiving usenet for good VB6 examples.
>

> > You are reading a windows disk/mount and this is mount as iso8159(-15)
> > character set
> > this is wrong for bare gambas.
> > you need characterset conversion like utf8 to get the correct text
> > or mount the windows disk as utf8 when posible.
> >
> > In short, you have a characterset conversion problem.
> >
> > Hi Ron_1st,
>
> Yep I know but shouldn't Gambas cope with it more nicely than just crash :-)

Sorry, I did oversee the crash line. I did see the specific language problem
that toke my attention.

> Those files ended up in Linux-filesystem by me copying them from Windows
> NTFS-partition mounted without specifying charset.
> As a brute force method I now made a filter which renames files to 7-bit
> ascii. I would not want to do this but really don't understand what else I
> could do.

copy the bad named files to a save place and check working of the program.

> I would like to support all locales with genisoimage. I don't really
> understand how different locales work in Gambas. What functions are able to
> handle UTF-8 in Gambas?

The Desktop class and String class has character set handling/conversion.

I did read a lot of info on http://unicode.org/
and http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

> If I understand right those names are illegal in my locale because for
> example ls|wc complains.

My locale tells
# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8