[Gambas-user] Gambas for netbooks (was Re: bug signal #11 when using gb.net.curl)

Kris Douglas webbox.uk at ...626...
Fri Oct 3 11:30:50 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 08:42, Ron <ron at ...1740...> wrote:
> Benoit Minisini schreef:

>>> What a coincidence ;-)
>>>
>>> A side note;
>>> I have bought an Asus EeePC 1000H this week, installed Ubuntu eee and
>>> Gambas2 and they run great on it, and my application looks very nice.
>>> Developing Forms can be done, but due to the lower resolution requires a
>>> bit of scrolling, but writeing code, and testing works very nice.
>>> The Gambas IDE and compiled programs are running fast!
>>>
>>> So Gambas2 is Atom N270 cpu approved ;-)
>>>
>>> Will compile lastest rev, and let you know.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ron_2nd
>>>

>> Cool! What is the screen resolution? If you have suggestions on how to make
>> the interface of IDE better on these small computers, tell (on the
>> mailing-list, maybe other people use Gambas on them).
>>
>> Regards,
>>

> Benoit and others,
>
> That was exactly what I wanted to suggest, maybe provide a mode/button
> to clear out unwanted graphical element in GUI design mode so
> you make better use of the smaller resolution. On my Asus EeePC it is
> 1024x600 (i think most of the netbooks use this)
>
> Have to see which elements I use most, but maybe display a list of the
> elements in setup somewhere where you can simple check or uncheck them.
> Or, implement an auto-hide mode, when you scroll to the lefthandside of
> the GUI editor the list of modules and forms appear, after selecting, it
> dissapears again, same for righthand properties window, and
> debug/console window... just a thought, have to see if this is workable.
>
> Mine has a 160Gb harddrive, so plenty of room to install a multiboot
> environment (I have Windows XP, and Ubuntu eee with Gambas 2.9 now)
> The Windows license came with it, Asus reports that there is also a
> Linux version (cheaper), but couldn't find it in the Netherlands.
> Unlike other eeepc's this one has an almost full size keyboard (95% i think)
>
> Regards,
> Ron_2nd

That's a good idea, I do all of my programming on an Acer Aspire one,
and it can be quite a task to navigate through the IDE, the width is
perfectly fine, but the height is too much for the 1024x600 screen to
cope with.

--
Kris Douglas
      Softdel Limited Hosting Services