[Gambas-user] Getting events from a modal showed modal

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Oct 4 17:39:43 CEST 2008

Wow. I get this mail ten days after it was sent to the mailing-list!

On jeudi 25 septembre 2008, Doriano Blengino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I send the project about raising GetPage event.
>
> Look at FMain.class:26; the only way I found to get getPage event is to
> instantiate fmPreview.obs from Fmain.
> I tried to create it inside the fmPreview.setup() method, and attach it
> to blah blah blah; this is why in FMain:21 fmPreview.setup() is called
> with a parameter "ME".
>
> fmPreview.obs is disposed in fmPreview.form_close().
>

> Benoit,
>
> I have some problems with rendering fonts in preview - they are
> imprecise, and some manipulation comes from practical tries, without a
> right knowledge. All the things are a little messy, but if you quickly
> see something wrong, any advice is appreciated.
> The biggest problem is to calculate the true width of a printed text,
> when this text is not actually printed on the true printer surface, but
> on a scaled-down surface (a DrawingArea).
>
> Thanks in advance for your interest, if you care.
>
> Best regards,
> Doriano Blengino

Font width is not accurate at small sizes on screen, because of font hinting
(on screen).

If you want more information about that:

http://www.antigrain.com/research/font_rasterization/index.html

As font hinting problem seems to be less important with higher font sizes, I
suggest the following:

When you want to know the dimension of a text at small sizes (let's say when
size <= 48), always calculate it at 48 point size, and divide the result by
the ratio between 48 and the real font size.

What do you think about that?

--
Benoit Minisini