[Gambas-user] using icons from system theme without specifiying full path

Joshua Higgins joshiggins at ...1601...
Sun Nov 30 18:33:34 CET 2008

well.... I'm making an application launcher. It reads all the .desktop files
from under /usr/share/applications and after loads of splitting adds them to
a ListView.

.desktop file layed out as follows:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Inkscape
Comment=Vector Graphics Editor
Exec=inkscape
Icon=inkscape.png
Categories=GNOME;Utility;

The problem I'm having is that the icons are described as they are in the
theme, i.e. just the file name, not by the path, and I'm struggling to find
a reliable way to resolve this back to the path to the icon, which I can
then load into Gambas.

2008/11/30 birchy <pokerbirch at ...1601...>

> joshiggins wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to use the icons in my gambas program from the current system
> theme
> > in GTK/Gnome. At the moment I've been specifying the full path e.g.
> >
> > /usr/share/icons/Tango/32x32/apps/gnome-keyring-manager.png
> >
> > But ideally I need to just set gnome-keyring-manager as the image and it
> > picks up the right icon. Any way to do this?
>
> Why not copy/paste the icon into your project folder rather than using
> external paths?
> --

joshua higgins