[Gambas-user] Centos? x86_64 vs i386? GTK vs QT?

Frank Cox theatre at ...2012...
Wed Nov 12 10:07:28 CET 2008

Hello folks!

I installed Gambas2 about two hours ago and have been sitting here in awe since
then.  To say that I'm impressed would be an understatement, and I'm truly
looking forward to playing with this wonderful toy.

I have three fairly basic questions (so far) and hope you will bear with me
while I try to get up to speed here:

First, while my personal desktop and development machine currently runs Fedora
9/x86_64, I maintain some Centos 5/i386 application servers.  I would like to
be able to develop stuff on my machine here and copy it to the application
servers and have it "just work" if I can.

Gambas creates something that the file command tells me is a "gbr2 script text
executable" when you tell it to make an executable, and that script depends on
gbx2. Is there a difference between a gambas-created executable made on an
x86_64 machine and one made on an i386 machine?  Can I create an executable with
gambas2 on my x86_64 machine and expect that it will just-work on an i386 box?

Related to this, while gambas2 lives in the standard Fedora 9 repository, I
haven't yet found a gambas2 i386 rpm for Centos 5.  Is there one available for
downloading somewhere that I haven't looked yet, or do I have to compile that
myself? And if I have to compile it myself, what's the easy way to do that?
Could I just grab a .src.rpm from somewhere and run "rpmbuild--rebuild" on a
Centos box?

And thirdly, is there a practical difference between a QT and a GTK
gambas project? My "hello world" looks pretty much the same regardless of which
option I pick.