[Gambas-user] Searching a key in the array of gb.settings

gambas at ...1938... gambas at ...1938...
Sun Nov 9 10:37:40 CET 2008

Hi Doriano,

Am Sonntag, 9. November 2008 10:00:11 schrieb Doriano Blengino:
> gambas at ...1938... ha scritto:
> >> What you are trying to do could only work in true interpreted languages
> >> - perhaps;
> >
> > That's the answer why it works in Perl! :whistle:
> >> it is a total non-sense in every serious programming language.
>
> I have to correct myself. The distinction is not among "serious"
> languages and "not serious" ones.
> I don't want to say that Bash, Tcl, Perl and probably others are not
> serious.
> The difference is in compiled languages (either compiled to machine code
> or p-code) and interpreted ones.
> Sorry if my previous mail offended someone ;-)
There is no reason you had to worry about ....at least for me. My hint to Perl
was only the expression of my "personal brain ignition" :-) ...because I
programmed many years in perl.

> Problem is that, normally, compiled languages discard informations about
> names. So if you construct a string in program, there is no way to
> associate it directly to what was a program symbol. But often compilers
> keep, for at least a part of the program, some information about the names.
That are the things I have to keep in mind, during my "switching process" from
perl to gambas. :-)
At the moment I'm migrating some perl programms to gambas. Until now, I looked
into the perl code and adapted/migrated it to gambas. That was a big mistake!