[Gambas-user] Values between forms..

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sat Nov 8 18:39:16 CET 2008

On samedi 8 novembre 2008, Doriano Blengino wrote:
> Benoit Minisini ha scritto:

> >> Perhaps a wrapper method should be used... with no gain (one thing
> >> public instead of another one - where is the improvement?).
> >
> > This is an improvement because you have *only the needed* thing public
> > instead of *everything*.
>
> I agree partly with you. But, if you have something 8 values (or more),
> then you write a method with eight parameters. Then, in different
> places, you discover you are not interested in set them all, so you
> start to write different methods with less parameters, and you want to
> group them in a reasonable way - or write 8 single-parameter methods (or
> a method with optional arguments). What a mess... where no lines of code
> could be enough, you start to write several.
>
> Now you are thinking: "So, you did not planned enough, and now you don't
> know where to go". It is right, and all us programmer do so (and you
> too). And sometimes, you start write something, and your customer (or
> yourself) find that things could be better.
>
> To make it short, you are right. But a programming language should
> encourage, not force, good programming techniques. So I would prefer a
> language that lets me choose - the quick and dirty way, or the "long
> term", more reasoned one.
>
> Best regards,
> Doriano

There is another constraint in Gambas with making control publics: it uses
memory. Having only the option to make all control publics, I prefer to
discourage people using it.

The solution would be, as said 'birchy', having a checkbox in the property
sheet to make controls public or not individually. Something that I will
write in the TODO file!

Benoit Minisini