[Gambas-user] Highlight Editor - highlighting more than 1 line

Fri Nov 7 12:26:05 CET 2008

Hi folks,

a long time ago, I mentioned this, but Benoit meant it was a matter of
my code :-) Since I didn't have an opportunity to check it out, I just
tried it again today.

This is what I found out about the example with the web site HTML code:
Highlight Editor will highlight more than one line if the text contains
a comment embraced by <!-- --> but only if you set it to
Highlight.Comment and nothing else.

 From my point of view, it shouldn't matter which property of
highlighting you use, it's just a choice of colors, right? So try this:

Let the Highlight Editor run and look for the first comment line

<!--<h3>And do it each time you download a new version !</h3>-->

Just insert a Return somewhere within the comment. You'll see that it
stays gray, as it should.

Stop the program. In the source code, there is

       SELECT CASE iState
         CASE Highlight.Normal
           IF sCar = "<" THEN
             IF String.Mid$(sText, iInd, 4) = "<!--" THEN
               iState = Highlight.Comment
               iNextState = Highlight.Comment
             ELSE

Now, just change the two Hightlight.Comment to something else, e. g.
Highlight.Breakpoint and let the program run again. As you will see, all
comments now appear in red. Do as before, insert a Return somewhere in
the comment.

What comes out is, that it starts black ("Highlight.Normal") on the new
line, then interprets the following commands as usual.

I hope this makes it somewhat clearer what I meant then. In my case,
there is an editor for the printing forms I've created for my programs.
Its format is very much like HTML, but it reacts slighty different.
There are commands in {} and strings within these commands in []. There
can be a linebreak at any point within a command structure, so there are
some longer definitions (for tables) which reach over several lines to
make them easier to read.

Adapting the Highlight Editor to my needs was easy, but at this point it
fails: all new lines following within a {} start in black, and the
hassle only ends with the closing bracket some lines below.

For me this is only a small issue, but anyway it's somewhat annoying not
to know why and what :-) So, is it a bug or a feature or am I just too
stupid to see the way?

Thanks for all comments.

Rolf