[Gambas-user] Web Services: Working with WSDL

birchy pokerbirch at ...1601...
Thu Nov 6 18:23:38 CET 2008

Fabien Bodard-4 wrote:

> so if i understand well it's just a file that describe the function
> gived by the server and usable via the soap protocole.
>
> but gambas still not manage soap :/
>
> and i'm too weak to that

Yes, that's basically what a WSDL file does. I'm also weak in SOAP and XML,
however i may have a fairly simple solution. In simple terms, SOAP is simply
a standard HTTP conversation between a server and client, using XML
strings/packets. When Java or .Net auto-generate classes, all they are doing
is creating the functions for each operation that the server will recognise.
In VB6, my workaround for the lack of WSDL implementation was to write a
function for each method and manually build the XML string within the
function. I then sent it to the server via a standard HTTP request. I've
never studied a WSDL file, but i'm sure it would be possible to parse it and
auto-generate a single module or class containing a function for each server
request.

I'm actually interested in the Betfair web service, so i'll take a look at
it when i get time. I don't think this is as difficult as it first seems.
=)