[Gambas-user] Control Layout questions

Mike Brett serif at ...1870...
Sun May 25 12:20:54 CEST 2008

Advice would be appreciated on the following please....

I'm trying to develop using 2.6.0 [using gb.qt and gb.qt.ext components]
on Fedora 8, for an eventual target user platform of the Asus eeePC (KDE
based 800x480 screen).

I want to use several closely spaced rows of three controls - a Label
next to a TextBox next to a ComboBox. I have set the Font size of all
these controls to -4, because screen area is at a real premium.

Questions 1. Layout seems to be permanently set to snap to grid, and for
my purposes the grid increments are rather too big. Do I have control
over (a) snapping on/off, and (b) grid 'spacing'?

Questions 2. The Labels, TextBoxes and ComboBoxes all have a Height
setting of 22, and have been top-aligned; however the bottoms of the
ComboBoxes hang lower than the other two controls. I can however make
the ComboBoxes have the same visual height as the Label/TextBox by
dragging their bottom handle up. However the properties still show
height = 22 for all three control types, even after this adjustment. When I
(a) save and re-open the project, or
(b) run it
the comboboxes look slightly too tall again.

Will the ComboBoxes in my final installation package look right or
wrong? What's actually going on here, and what control if any do I have
over the situation?

Thanks - Mike -