[Gambas-user] Merge Gambas Forums / Gambas in Windows

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sun May 18 21:19:02 CEST 2008

On Sunday 18 May 2008 10:32, Juan Jose Costello Levien wrote:
> I am a bit confused about the Gambas forum quantity out there;
> (gambasrad, linuxbasic, gambasforum.tk....).
> How could be merged all the posts in all forums and consolidate
> them in one place? Because generally you have to register in every
> forum, remember all passwords...

Well, that's why there's this mailing list.  This (and gambas-devel)
were the original lists started to support Gambas, and those forums
were all started by other people because they disliked mailing lists.
I guess you could email them and ask that they shut down their forums
and send their users here, but if you received such a request, how
would you react?

LinuxBasic originally covered other BASIC variants for Linux too, it's
just that Gambas is kind of the "last man standing:" Kbasic and
Hbasic and Xbasic seem to all have died and Mono Basic, even if it
were ready for prime time, is not really safe for anyone but Novell
to use thanks to their deal with Microsoft.

> Imagine if you create a program to collect all the posts in all
> forums; you can search everything in one place, post in any forum
> that everybody will see it, and so on (maybe it is already made,
> but which is? I don't know any, just web spiders).

Google does index gambasforum.tk (or rather, forum.stormweb.no) and
linuxbasic.net, I don't know about gambasrad.org, but last I checked,
the vast bulk of its forum was just a copy of this mailing list
anyway.

> About running Gambas in Windows, for the ones that don't know,
> there is andLinux (http://www.andlinux.org), so you can install
> gambas runtime and deploy your programs in Windows machines.

I've found that even having Cygwin installed is too much for most
people, so installing an entire operating system in a virtual machine
is really a last-resort kind of situation.  But for evaluation
purposes (or Gambas development when you can't boot into Linux) it
should be okay.

Rob