[Gambas-user] Packager appears broken in Gambas 2.0.0 under Ubuntu Hardy

Bob Warren warren at ...1582...
Thu May 8 20:30:19 CEST 2008

Hi All,

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) installed via Windows. I have
downloaded and installed Gambas 2.0.0 available in the Ubuntu
repositaries by the standard method in the "Add/Remove Programs" menu.

I am an ordinary fellow, not a computer geek. I do not have the time,
energy, or (frankly) the competence to play with computers much, except
perhaps to use ready-made tools for the production and distribution of
my own simple programs. Faced with the prospect of compiling binaries,
sorting out dependencies, and all the other stuff that the geeks do, I
just have to turn myself off. Sorry, but that's who I am, one of many
"ordinary" users who hopefully will adopt Gambas in the future.

For the reasons explained above, I would like to point out the
importance of making sure that the Gambas available by the "standard"
method is always a stable version. There is no need for it to be the
latest and greatest, but it shouldn't crash of course. And if serious
problems are found at a later time, then I suggest it would be a good
idea to replace the version in the standard repository ASAP.

That said, I would like to congratulate Benoit on the apparent quality
and appearance of Gambas 2 that I have seen in the form of 2.0.0 via
Ubuntu Hardy. That one man could have produced such a thing is truly
remarkable. Very impressive!

So far, I have attempted a few very simple test projects with Gambas 2.
When "running" these projects from the IDE, I was foxed for a while
because no Window appeared. However, I soon discovered that the window
of my project was hidden behind the IDE and that an icon was showing at
the bottom of the screen. No real problem then, but is it like this on
purpose?

Then I tried making executables. No problem there. So I became ambitious
and tried making a package for Ubuntu. More often than not, it crashed.
Sorry if something similar has been reported and I haven't noticed, or
if it has already been fixed in a version later than my "standard" one
from Ubuntu Hardy. Here is the report:

Creating package for Ubuntu.
Making build directory.
Creating desktop file...
Sources are being debianizated.
Creating package...
dpkg-buildpackage: set CPPFLAGS to default value:
dpkg-buildpackage: set CFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set CXXFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set FFLAGS to default value: -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: set LDFLAGS to default value: -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions
dpkg-buildpackage: source package shit3
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 0-0
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by warren <warren at ...1902...>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture i386
 debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
rm -Rf `find . -name ".gambas"`
rm -Rf `find . -name "*.gambas"`
rm -f build-stamp install-stamp
dh_clean
dh_clean: Compatibility levels before 4 are deprecated.
 dpkg-source -b shit3
dpkg-source: error: source package name `Shit3' contains illegal
character `S'
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: dpkg-source -b shit3 gave error exit status 255
The package build has failed.
Package.MakeDebPackage.424: 'dpkg-buildpackage' has failed.

I don't know whether it helps, but the "Name" of my project was "Shit3"
(sorry about that), and the "Title" of my project was "bobShit3". I
don't understand the report above, but there seems to be some confusion
between small "s's" and capital ones?

Regards to all,

Bob Warren