[Gambas-user] Gambas and QT 4

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Thu May 1 09:56:22 CEST 2008

Hi,

Just for information...

Gambas 3 development version has two QT4 experimental components named gb.qt4
and gb.qt4.ext.

These components are usable, but have many bugs yet. *Many* things were
completely redesigned in the toolkit, and so, apparently similar functions
behave very differently.

For example, foreground and background colors do not work correctly anymore
with gb.qt4.

The worst problem is that QT4 (4.3.4) drawing and resizing is very slow. - As
much as GTK+ . :-)

The IDE with gb.qt4 and gb.qt4.ext becomes sloppy as hell, even on my Core 2
Duo / 2Go RAM / NVIDIA!

Hopefully, that is fixed in the next upcoming QT 4.4 release. I downloaded the
QT 4.4 RC1 sources, compiled them (takes 2.5 Gb on my hard disk!), and
drawing seems to be twice faster, and resizing does not flicker anymore.

That means that KDE 4.1 will have the same speed enhancement, so I am
happy. :-)

Benoit Minisini