[Gambas-user] Why is Gambas so frowned upon in the Linux programming community

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Mar 31 00:14:35 CEST 2008

On dimanche 30 mars 2008, jbskaggs wrote:
> I have been looking for people to help me alpha / beta test my program by
> going to the ubuntu forums and asking for volunteers.
>
> One of the responses was this snippy response that People in the Ubuntu
> community do not use a vb clone and they would not like to either.  That I
> should use Python or C++.
>
> SO I searched the web for other forums looking for people to help or
> volunteer and I saw the same comments over and over.
>
> What is the deal with these people?  Not everybody wants to learn a
> hardcore language and just wants to create apps, why is that so frowned
> upon?
>
> Is it because VB was used in windows?  or that Gambas is tearing down a
> wall of superiority of linux programmers.
>

> It reminds me of firebuilding in the boy scouts:
>
> The hardcore guys would spend three or four hours building a fire with
> flint and steel, or wood and bow.  While the kids with common sense used a
> match. Yeah if you can start a fire with flint you can build a fire
> anywhere, but 99% of the time a match is superior.
>
> Is there a better reason than well you NEED to know how to program without
> crutches like gui generation, why I should learn harder languages if Gambas
> does everything I want?
>
> JB

I heart the same comments and have exactly the same question.

I made Gambas for this reason: why spending four hours to do something that
could be done in a few minutes?

VB is a bad language not because is Basic and Visual, but because it is
incoherent and full of bugs. I try to avoid that with Gambas.

Otherwise, as soon as your programming skills are sufficient, you won't see a
lot of difference between languages, you will see that a language is not good
or bad in essence, and you will use the right tool for the right job,
according to your needs: speed, memory consumption...

In other words, Python and C++ are powerful enough to write quick and dirty
unreadable programs. And you can make beautiful programs in Gambas if you
want.

--
Benoit Minisini