[Gambas-user] Correctly using the LIKE operator

MaxVK maximvonk at ...626...
Sat Mar 22 12:47:29 CET 2008

Hi, I'm having some problems using the LIKE operator.

I'm trying to use it in a spell check routine, to generate a list of words
that might be the correct spelling for a word that is not in the dictionary.
However, I seem to be able to either include almost every word in the
dictionary, or no words at all!

I'm doing something like this:

IF CheckWord LIKE "[" & sp_Dict[d] & "]*" THEN .... add this word to a list

I have tried using "?[...]?", and "*[...]*" and various similar
combinations, but I'm still unable to get a satisfactory result, either
getting words that are in no way 'LIKE' the misspelled word, or getting none
at all.

Could anyone point me in the right direction please, or possibly even offer
an alternative way to do this.

Many thanks

Max