[Gambas-user] Gambas on Windows - Alternative

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at ...626...
Fri Mar 21 13:28:35 CET 2008

2008/3/21, Benoit Minisini <gambas at ...1...>:

> On vendredi 21 mars 2008, Daniel Campos wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I don't know if anybody wrote here about this topic, but I've just
> > tested a Linux environment on Windows capable to run Gambas2 IDE and
> > applications without any problem. You can find it here:
> > http://www.andlinux.org (It is GPL'ed)
> >
> > It is based on cooperative-linux, a Linux kernel running on Windows.
> > It adds a rootless X server as well as some graphical applications (or
> > a complete KDE system if you want to download a 700 Mb installer).
> >
> > It runs Linux 32-bits binaries, and provides a basic Ubuntu system,
> > that is, you just need to download Gambas packages for Ubuntu, and
> > start it from a console.
> >
> > If anybody is interested in that project, creating a custom AndLinux
> > distribution without extra stuff, just with colinux kernel, X-Server
> > and the libraries needed to run Gambas2, could be a good idea.
> >
> > Compared to Cygwin systems, It works really fast, applications seem to
> > be running on a native Linux system, and If you want, you can provide
> > access to the entire hard disk to manage files in your system.
> >
> > I've been testing it on my Laptop (32bits Win Vista + Intel Core Duo +
> > 1GB RAM) and everything works fast and without problems. I tested the
> > RAD environment and some examples (basic and networking). Both QT and
> > GTK+ Gambas apps work.
> >
> > Using that system you don't need a Linux server connected with a
> > Windows+X server system, and you don't need to compile anything, just
> > download your apps using apt!
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> Do you have some screenshots?
>
> I'm currently trying to compile Gambas on Cygwin. There are a *lot* of
> problems, and the cygwin architecture reveals many bugs (memory alignment
> problems at the moment). So I don't totally lost my time. :-)
>
> Anyway, do you think it is possible to create a andlinux distribution
> with "just" Gambas, and creates an icon on the windows desktop to run a
> gambas application by automatically initializing all the stuff?

I do think so, as Daniel says there's no much magic on andlinux.org. The
tricky part is the kernel:http://www.colinux.org/ . Having such kernel, any
distribution could be done: mandriva, debian, redhat, etc. and you only have
to decide the packages to include there.
It would have been a nice GSoC project but we're two weeks later for this
year projects.
Regards.