[Gambas-user] Gambas has competition now

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Mon Mar 17 21:29:51 CET 2008

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/03/17/monodevelop-1-0-officially-released

( http://xrl.us/bhs3j in case the link breaks )

The fruits of Novell's unholy alliance with Microsoft have finally
reached 1.0, making it the second Free BASIC IDE with GUI designer to
reach production status (after Gambas), and the first with the
promise of cross-platform abilities.

I don't think I would touch this with a ten foot pole due to the
likelihood that Microsoft will start looking for money from Mono
developers in a couple years, SCO-style, but I have no doubt that
some organizations will use it.  I also just think that Gambas as a
language is better designed than VB.NET, let alone C#.

I also think that anyone who is contributing or plans to ever
contribute to the Gambas IDE, compiler/interpreter or components
should refrain from downloading MonoDevelop.  It seems likely to me
that Microsoft or one of its sock puppets would someday try to use
that as evidence that Gambas developers were ripping off MonoDevelop
or Mono in general.

Something to keep in mind.

Rob