[Gambas-user] Modules & Classes

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Sun Mar 16 18:28:12 CET 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008 12:58, Kari Laine wrote:
> What's the real difference between Modules & Classes? I understand
> how classes under VB6 are used.

The difference between modules and classes in Gambas is pretty much
the same as in VB.... modules are just collections of procedures and
variables you can call from elsewhere in your project, whereas
classes get instantiated at runtime as objects (except for when they
have static features, which you can use without instantiating them)
and have methods and properties.  It's really just the difference
between object-oriented programming and non-object-oriented
programming.

If you made a class that was entirely static, I guess it would be the
same thing as a module.  But you can do a lot more with classes.

> Is there property get and property
> let functions in gambas - I gather not. But could someone clear
> this bit for me - please.

The equivalent functions are (propertyname)_Read and
(propertyname)_Write.  For example, if you had a property
called "Visible", the get function would be Visible_Read and the let
function would be Visible_Write.

Rob