[Gambas-user] Locale question

Richard richard.j.walker at ...247...
Fri Mar 14 23:19:26 CET 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008 22:04:45 Benoit Minisini wrote:
> On vendredi 14 mars 2008, Richard wrote:
> > This one is for anyone out there with multiple language experience.
> >
> > I executed "urpmi locales-fr locales-ar locales-ber locales-ru" and then
> > started Gambas with "LANG=fr LANGUAGE=fr gambas2". I also tried each of
> > Arabic, Berber and Russian.
> >
> > The result was that the Gambas IDE was translated for the available
> > languages (no Berber) but all month names are still in English.
>
> How do you get month names?
>
> > Have I missed a step? Do I need to change my desktop locale too do you
> > think?
>
> Are what you call "desktop locale" the KDE settings? KDE uses its own
> locale system, Gambas does not use it. Gambas only uses the system locale
> settings of the GNU libc.
>
> Regards,

1. I created a text box and filled it with

	Format(Now, "dd mmmm yyyy")

Putting a DateChooser on the form had already shown that month names are in
English, but I tried the text box to check the output of the Format command
too.

2. I suppose I meant system locale. I've never had to fiddle with that. I'm
guessing that some script somewhere picks up on the information I entered
during installation of the OS, but I am sure I could track it down if that
needs to be changed too. I reckon that will confine me to checking with
languages I have some acquaintance with. If my whole system starts to speak
to me in Arabic I could be in trouble!

Richard