[Gambas-user] Change to the Gambas IDE to improve the workflow

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Mar 10 21:24:03 CET 2008

On dimanche 9 mars 2008, Robert Rowe wrote:
> I've made a small change to my copy of the IDE that I feel is a great
> improvement. I love the completion menu but I don't like that you have
> to press the enter key to trigger it. The three keys that I most often
> press after entering a keyword or object name are the space key, the
> period or the left parenthesis. My change adds these three keys to the
> list that triggers the completion. Benoît, if you agree that these
> changes are positive could you add them to the official copy of the IDE
> source?
>
> You will need to get the latest gambas2 source from subversion. The
> specific line(s) on which to make the changes will probably be different
> in different versions. I haven't checked gambas3 but I'm sure that the
> code is in the same procedure (ManageKey).
>
> Here are the changes:
>
> In the FCompletion class, line 515, comment the line that says:
>
> ME.Hide
>
> and insert a line that says:
>
> InsertItem(TRUE)
>
> This enables the spacebar to trigger completion.

Actually what you want for space was the code for CTRL+Space. I bet that it
worked as you want before, but somebody wanted the VB shortcut instead! I
think some configuration options would be the right way, but I can do that
only for Gambas 3, not Gambas 2. And I think that if I change the behaviour
as you want, other people will cry. I need more people's opinion!

> Add the following 2 case blocks to enable the period and left
> parenthesis keys:
>
>     CASE 40 'Left Parenthesis
>         InsertItem(TRUE)
>         RETURN FALSE
>
>     CASE 46 'Period
>         InsertItem(TRUE)
>         RETURN FALSE

Strange, as it already works like that: if I press a left parenthesis or a
period on my Gambas 2, the completion is done. Look at line 548 in
FCompletion.class.

Can you check that?

Benoit Minisini