[Gambas-user] Hello and questions

Robert Rowe robert.c.rowe at ...626...
Fri Mar 7 02:25:25 CET 2008

I just discovered Gambas yesterday and I'm quite impressed. I'd like to
thank Benoît for writing Gamabs. I'm a professional VB developer and
have missed VB since I switched to Linux (Kubuntu) about a year ago. I'm
stuck with Windows at work since our customers use Windows. I used to
make little apps at home when needed but I hate to bring up a VMWare
session for such small tasks. It looks like Gambas will solve this for me.

I have a couple of questions though.

1. I couldn't find a place on the website to submit suggestions. Is this
mailing list the appropriate place for suggestions?

2. I found the bug tracker but couldn't seem to access the page(s) that
showed the description of the listed bugs. Am I missing something? I'd
hate to submit a duplicate bug report.

3. I'd have to agree with Richard Terry that an efficient workflow is
critical. I use a large number of addons with VB at work. I didn't see a
way to add extensions to Gambas. Does it have this ability? If not then
do you except source code changes to the IDE? I'd be willing to write
several tools that could be added to the IDE. I'd prefer a plugin type
system so that each user could choose whether to have the tool or not.

4. Another thing that I do a lot at work with VB is to write controls as
the built in controls are rather lackluster. Do components have to be
written in C or can they be written in Gambas? If they can be written in
Gambas, is there a how-to somewhere?

5. The first thing that I did after installing Gambas was to try to run
the samples. None of them would compile. I eventually figured out that
it was because I was running Gambas as a normal user. When I ran as root
the samples ran well and were impressive. My suspicion is that Gambas
needs to write the compiled file(s) somewhere and my normal user
couldn't write to that location. It seems this location must be the
project folder which is /usr/share/gambas2/examples/ for me. Is there a
way to tell Gambas to write the compiled files to another location (like
the temp folder) when running a read only project.

6. I know that I'm a Gambas newbie but I'm a BASIC veteran (over 25
years) and I'm sure that I will pick it up quickly. What would be the
best way for me to contribute? I stink at C and I'm an okay document writer.

7. I've been reading through
"Getting Started with Gambas Version 2: A Tutorial" by
timothy.marshal­nichols at ...1868... He says that his screenshots were
taken from Gambas2. I have Gambas2 installed.  In has screenshot of the
New Project Wizard there are several options that I don't have including
an option to import a VB project.  I'm very interested in importing VB
projects. Am I somehow missing this option or do I need to install
something else? I installed everything from the repository at danicafe.
I can provide a package list if this would help.

8. I'm a hotkey junkie and was very pleased to see that most of the
hotkeys in Gamabs were the same as the ones in VB. Not all are though.
Is there a way to configure the hotkeys?

9. I prefer a green background with a white foreground for comment
lines. I find that this makes them stand out. I located the option to
change the syntax highlighting colors but I couldn't set the background
color. Is this possible? Maybe I could edit some config file directly if
the option isn't available from the options screen.

10. This next one is more of a suggestion. I love the intellisense
menus. In many ways they are superior to VB. One thing that I ran into
though was that you seem to have to press enter to choose the item from
the list. If this could be triggered on the keypress of any non-alpha
character then it would allow me to press the . or = to choose the item
and continue with the statement. I know it only saves a few keystrokes
be this adds up after a while.

Robert Rowe