[Gambas-user] Gambas class to read a joystick

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...94...
Tue Mar 4 17:14:11 CET 2008

On Tuesday 04 March 2008 10:57, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> I think you shouldn't read usb directly, because the Linux kernel
> has implemented an abstraction layer with devices located in
> /dev/input. Apparently you have /dev/input/event? devices that send

Yeah, I agree.  It may be useful to have a generalized Gambas USB
library available, but where there are abstraction layers I think we
should use them.  That's why I might end up making an SDL input
component rather than a raw joystick component, assuming SDL input is
usable by applications that don't use an SDL event loop, like Qt and
Gtk ones.  If it works, all Gambas apps on SDL-supported platforms
would get joystick support, not just Linux.

I wish I could just throw something together to try it, but my time
for coding is pretty much just the weekends right now.

Rob