[Gambas-user] How to package and distribute our software written in Gambas

Stefano Palmeri rospolosco at ...152...
Mon Jun 23 09:41:18 CEST 2008

Il lunedì 23 giugno 2008 03:51:55 jbskaggs ha scritto:
> After six months I have a package that is nearly finished.
>
> I understand how to make an installation package via Gambas.
>
> What I need though is a one-click means of installing my data directories
> into the correct area on the user's drive.
>
> IE
>
> user.home/wwmkr.

Oh well. If you just need to copy some data in user.home
there's an easy way to do it.

I.E. in your project directory there's a file called "mydata.txt"
and you want to install it when you distribute the installation package.
When you create the executable or the installation package the
file "mydata.txt" is integrated in the binary too.

Now you want to install it in user.home &/ blabla.

The only thing you need when you start the app is
to check if exist user.home &/ "blabla" &/ "mydata.txt".

If not exist just copy it:

COPY "mydata.txt" TO user.home &/ "blabla" &/ "mydata.txt".

"mydata.txt" is integrated in the binary: it's just a matter
of extracting it with COPY.

If you need to install files in a directory where you need
root permissions, you can do the same thing asking root
password to the user, or tell the user that to "complete the installation"
the app must be run as root for the first time.

> Using linux's archive manager does not give me that option automatically.
> Maybe there is a nice liux packager out there for the data files etc?
>
> Second I need to know how to get the software in front of the people's eyes
> who need it.  How does one distribute a software efficiently and
> effectively?  Recruit alpha and beta testers etc.

account on freshmeat.net or kde-apps.org.

Stefano