[Gambas-user] comment blocks on gambas3?

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Fri Jun 6 11:48:35 CEST 2008

On vendredi 06 juin 2008, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
> Jason Hackney schrieb:
> > I'd have to agree with you there. When I first grabbed Gambas, I tried
> > to insert a long, multi-line comment using /*, */. After I figured out
> > that wasn't going to work, I looked around and saw the " ' '" method
> > and said to myself, "aw crap, just like VB!".
> >
> > So, I empathize with ya, but I've gotten to the point where I don't
> > care either way now.
>
> Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but the other day I
> thought that it might be nearly impossible to implement this in the
> editor at least. Let me add my ideas here :-)
>
> I had some experiments with the editor for one of my own projects some
> months ago. Trying to make it suitable for my own type of Printer Forms,
> I found that it does not properly support block mode. At least I didn't
> find a sensible way of having a block of lines optically changed, e. g.
> by just saying "from line x to line y" or following an expression in {}
> over more than one line.
>
> For instance, it did make a number of lines gray or whatever, but when
> you went up with the cursor line by line through the block, the
> information was lost and they changed back to the color codes within the
> specific line (each line was parsed for itself again). The same thing
> happened when you edited one of the lines in the block. It didn't help
> either to try stopping this intentionally, or at least I didn't find a
> way to do so ;-)
>
> Sure, at this time, for a usual BASIC dialect, only line mode is
> important. But wouldn't block mode be an important feature in case of
> block comments?
>
> Rolf

The highlighter can highlight text blocks spanning multiple lines. Just open
an html file in the editor and create some html comments if you don't trust
me!

This is done by keeping for each line the state of highlighter for the
beginning of the next line. You define the state at beginning of the next
line by setting the Highlight.State property in the Highlight event handler.

Benoit Minisini