[Gambas-user] Bug: Invalid value, Null object

Nx GT-R BOY nxgtrturbo at ...626...
Wed Jan 30 06:37:57 CET 2008

Bug: Invalid value, Null object

Hi, after a lot of different setups with my program, I finally discover the
problem that droves my crazy for a while (a long time).

In my program I need some tables with a lot (problems stars beyond ~16) of
fields, and ONLY with the forms I add all the datacontrols needed for
control de table I get the problem, if is a form with just a little
datacontrols (~8) everything works ok (sometimes dont, but don't know if the
field-type matters), the problem is an Invalid value message (not say what
value), and then a Null object message (not say what object) when I try to
WRITE to the database, but the "nice" part is that the form works perfect!
for read.

I try with 1 primary key, without one (now I know thats wrong) and with 2
primary keys, with fields-types like TINYINT, INT, CHAR, VARCHAR, BIT, with
parameters like NOT NULL, NULL, and with defaults value like 0, 1, etc...
but nothing, nothing of that could solve the problem

After a long time trying to solve the problem, I found a Work around, that
could be what demonstrate the existence of a bug, and not a programing or DB
design mistake.

The work around is pretty easy, If I need to add X datacontrols to my form,
I add one-by-one, add one, point it, compile and run, test (everything is
perfect!), and so on, with the others datacontrols, I know, its a stupid
way, but thats the only way I found, with 8 controls or less thats nothing,
but I have a form with more than 60, you could imagine me doing that (lol)

 To get the "bug" is simple, you need a database table with more than 16
fields, then try to add all the needed datacontrols AT ONCE, point all of
them and test your app.

This post isn't to complain, if someones know a better work-around could be
cool, but the main reason is to help find new bugs (if this one is a bug),
right now I cant help (I know C and C++) since I am busy but later would be
a honor for me to help in a better way the Gambas project.

Thanks a lot.
--
Nx GT-R