[Gambas-user] New 64 bits incompatible change for the 2.1

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at ...626...
Wed Jan 23 20:16:25 CET 2008

2008/1/23, Benoit Minisini <gambas at ...1...>:

> Hi,
>
> Why XWindow use 'long' datatype for their window handle, nobody knows.
> Because
> of that, window handles are 32 bits on 32 bits OS, and 64 bits on 64 bits
> OS.
> As if we were going to create 2^64 windows or pixmaps...
>
> Well, I had to create a new type of array, Pointer[], and had to modify
> all
> method that deal with window handle: the Control class, the Embedder
> class,
> the Desktop.Find() method which now returns a Pointer array and not an
> Integer array anymore, and so on.
>
> The good news: these methods now work indifferently on 32 bits OS and 64
> bits
> OS.
>
> The bad news: this change is not compatible with 2.0, as the Pointer[]
> class
> does not exist at all in 2.0.
>
> But I think that a Gambas 2 that works on 64 bits OS is worth this little
> incompatibility. Ahem, no, I don't change my mind...
>
> -

Well, we all would have prefered avoid this problem, but the 64 bits are
more needed than our preferences.
Anyway, what are your plans for 2.1 release? release it just after finishing
64 bits work or add more features before doing it? do you have any roadmap
or dates?
Regards.