[Gambas-user] IDE - features for better productivity

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Tue Jan 22 23:33:58 CET 2008

On mardi 22 janvier 2008, richard terry wrote:
> The more I use gambas the more I like it, but am increasingly finding that
> my productivity is being held back by the editor functioning, so I thought
> as I go along I'll throw in m   2 cents worth of ideas/wish list, a couple
> of which I've mentioned before, some I havn't, Most of these are features
> of all the editors I've used before
>
> 1) Splitable editor with independant scrolling
> 	- lets one view 2 subroutines side/side when developing/debugging/copying

Several editor controls can already share the same text, so it should be
possible. See the HighlightEditor example which can split its editor.

> 2) A back/forward button the tool bar.
> 	- nothing like scrolling/jumping down to one routine to see what one has
> done, and then having to find it again

Please explain.

> 3) Context sensitive help
> 	- ie press F1 over a keyword > jumps to the spot in the help file
> (probably at this stage I suspect impossible because of the nature of the
> help generation?

F2 does that.

> 4) Function key link to allow jumping to the subroutine under the cursor.

F2 (find symbol) and SHIFT+F2 (go backward) do that.

> 5)  Auto-refresh project tree
> 	- Some sort of process running under the hood to refresh the project tree
> list for when one has added a file from 'outside of the project'

Maybe. :-)

> 6) Icon preview at real size
> 	- A 'this is what it looks like preview' of the icon you draw in the icon
> editor at the real size.

Please explain.

> 7) A 'Clean up the project' feature
> 	- which removes all unused subroutines

Dangerous, and not really useful.

> To mention a few. Sounds like a selfish 'All I want for Xmas' wish list
> dosn't it.
>
> Fabulous environment to program in and thanks again for all the hard
> work/the product/ the support, much appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Richard

Benoit Minisini