[Gambas-user] IDE - features for better productivity

Paolo Fagni paolo.fagni at ...626...
Tue Jan 22 23:27:11 CET 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 10:27 PM, richard terry <rterry at ...1822...> wrote:

> The more I use gambas the more I like it, but am increasingly finding that
> my
> productivity is being held back by the editor functioning, so I thought as
> go along I'll throw in m   2 cents worth of ideas/wish list, a couple of
> which I've mentioned before, some I havn't, Most of these are features of
> all
> the editors I've used before
>
> 1) Splitable editor with independant scrolling
>        - lets one view 2 subroutines side/side when
> developing/debugging/copying

That would be _great_! This, with code folding, are the two most important
IDE related improvements IMHO

> 2) A back/forward button the tool bar.
>        - nothing like scrolling/jumping down to one routine to see what
> one has
> done, and then having to find it again

I wouldn't use those buttons that much, but they could be helpful.

> 3) Context sensitive help
>        - ie press F1 over a keyword > jumps to the spot in the help file
> (probably
> at this stage I suspect impossible because of the nature of the help
> generation?

As Stefano said, F2 already does this.

> 4) Function key link to allow jumping to the subroutine under the cursor.

Don't understand :(

> 5)  Auto-refresh project tree
>        - Some sort of process running under the hood to refresh the
> project tree
> list for when one has added a file from 'outside of the project'
>
> 6) Icon preview at real size
>        - A 'this is what it looks like preview' of the icon you draw in
> the icon
> editor at the real size.

4,5,6) Nothing special but ok to me :)

> 7) A 'Clean up the project' feature
>        - which removes all unused subroutines

Don't like automation in these sort of things.

> To mention a few. Sounds like a selfish 'All I want for Xmas' wish list
> dosn't
> it.
>
> Fabulous environment to program in and thanks again for all the hard
> work/the
> product/ the support, much appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Richard