[Gambas-user] New to Gambas - coding question how to find the active window on an Ubuntu 7.10 desktop

José Luis Redrejo jredrejo at ...626...
Sun Jan 20 15:29:52 CET 2008

I'm using this code to do something similar to what you asked, but not over
a text box, but on over a Embedder control. You'll have to use such control,
and maybe use it inserted in a container component with your textbox if you
need the textbox. It works perfectly with qt or gtk components. The only
pre-requisite is that you have to know the exact window Title of the app you
want to embed:

At my Form I have:

PUBLIC SUB Presence_Embed(windowTitle AS String)
DIM key AS Integer
  key = Utils.getWindowID(windowTitle)
  WAIT 1
  IF key > 0 THEN
    emb.Embed(key)
    WAIT
    emb.SetFocus
  ENDIF
  emb.Visible = TRUE

END

And at a Static Class Utils, I use for many other, things I have:

STATIC PUBLIC FUNCTION getWindowID(title AS String) AS Integer
  DIM result1 AS String
  DIM result2 AS String
  DIM beginning AS Integer

  SHELL "xwininfo -name \"" & title & "\"| grep \"Window id\" " to result1
  'result1=xwininfo: Window id: 0x3201eca "title"
  IF result1 = "" THEN
    WAIT 2
    SHELL "xwininfo -name \"" & title & "\"| grep \"Window id\" " to result1

  ENDIF
  beginning = InStr(result1, "0x")

  result2 = Mid$(result1, beginning + 2, 7)
  'result2 = Mid$(result1, Len("xwininfo: Window id:  0x"), Len("3a00003"))
  IF NOT IsNull(result2) THEN
     RETURN CInteger(Val("&H" & result2))
  ELSE
    RETURN 0
  ENDIF

END

I think the code is pretty self-explained. If not don't hesitate in asking
any question.
Regards.
José L.