[Gambas-user] Enhanced component project management for 2.1

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Jan 20 14:03:38 CET 2008

Hi,

I have uploaded in the IDE of /branches/2.0 an enhanced 'component project'
management.

Now, when you install a component project into your home directory
(a.k.a 'user component directory') by checking the option in the 'make
executable' dialog, the IDE is automatically refreshed and the new component
automatically selected. This way, the controls defined in your component are
automatically displayed in the toolbox.

Moreover, now, you can define the icons of your controls directly in the
project. To do that, you must create a 'control' directory in your project,
and create .png files whose each name must be the name of the controls in
lower case. For example, if you export a control named 'MyTextBox', then you
should create an icon named 'mytextbox.png' in the 'control' directory of
your project.

If you uninstall the component, the project is automatically refreshed too,
and the forms using this component are automatically closed.

The packager wizard should then be able to create a binary package of your
component, but it is not done yet.

I think there will be a convention for the naming of components not located in
the Gambas sources: something like vendor.x.y.z, gb.x.y.z being reserved. For
example, if you create a component with your own controls, and if you do it
for the company named 'Apple' (why not?), you should name it 'apple.form'.
And the package name will be 'gambas2-apple-form'.

Another point: if you install a component project that has the same name as a
global component, it is ignored. I mean, if, for example, you open the
project 'gb.db.form' from the Gambas sources, and you install it in the user
component directory, it will be installed, but the IDE will ignore it and
print a warning message.

Waiting for your comments... :-)

--
Benoit Minisini