[Gambas-user] Documentation glitch with Iconview ?

manuel viet gambas at ...1828...
Tue Jan 8 19:25:37 CET 2008

Benoit Minisini wrote:

> On mardi 8 janvier 2008, manuel viet wrote:
>
>> Serious question now, is it possible to build custom
>> controls in gambas and integrate them in the IDE ?
>> Last I tried (1.9.47) it wasn't working yet.
>
> Not really, unless you put it in a component inside the gambas source
> tree.

I understand you've already plenty to do with the code
cleanup and the 64 bits support, but I really think it
would be a major bonus if Gambas could load custom
controls in the IDE at runtime ; many time, you just
don't have the possibility to build a full application,
but you somehow have tiny ideas that are ideal to
improve or create a control. Or you don't finish a
project, but there are already classes that could just
be spin off.  If people could toy around and exchange
seamlessly those bits and pieces of code it could
create a great incentive toward gb.

Look at other great Open Source projects : Linux,
TeX, Perl ; those are undoubtedly nerdy, but they
gained traction not only because they were good,
but also because users could make trials freely,
toy with bits and pieces, share results. There are
bundles of classes to try for perl, an infinite number
of stylesheets for LaTeX, and countless obscure
drivers for linux. None of these projects were any
better than say *BSD, groff or tcl at the beginning,
but they took the lead because the sharing between
users was easier.

The way I see it, if there was a good exchange
structure of "unofficial" components in gambas it
might create a great movement of adoption by the
non-nerdy crowd ; maybe we could even see again
basic listings printed in the press ;-) to teach normal
users how to improve themselves some parts of the
components. Of course, there would be an enormous
amount of rubbishes, but nobody expects them to
get inside the official build. But maybe some would
be good enough to become official after a while ?

-----
--
Manuel Viet