[Gambas-user] Documentation glitch with Iconview ?

manuel viet gambas at ...1828...
Tue Jan 8 17:42:20 CET 2008

Benoit Minisini wrote:

> On mardi 8 janvier 2008, manuel viet wrote:
>> I was playing with an IconView (toolkit qt), and realized
>> it'd be cool to know when mouse would be over it, and
>> where (to know it was hovering over an item or the
>> background) ; the MouseMove event looked perfect and
>> the wiki says that this event is called "only when
>> button1 is down, except for some complex controls like
>> Icon & List View ". So I tried, and for me MouseMove is
>> raised only if button1 is depressed while moving.
>
> You really mean that you don't get MouseMove events if the first button is
> pressed ?

Oups, my mistake ; no, I only get them if the button is *pressed*
of course. As with any other control.

>> If I
>> change the IconView to a ListView,  the MouseMove
>> event is raised anytime the mouse, indeed, moves inside
>> the control area, as expected. So I'm afraid the wiki is
>> not up to date. Side question : how can I do this kind of
>> 'tracking' inside this control (if possible at all) ?
>>

> Actually you should not be able to do that, because it depends heavily on
> the
> internal implementation of the IconView. If you need an IconView with
> mouse
> tracking, and other functions I imagine, maybe you should implement your
> own
> one.

That's what I was fearing *sigh* !! (my idea was to use
the IV as a 'corckboard' to stick notes. Hovering over
a note would have "magnified" it magicaly to peruse the
contents, one click and hop, edit mode.)Why can't I be a
reasonable guy and be happy with what already exists ?
Trouble is I'm completely illiterate when it comes to c++
and qt ; I can do some good C/GTK+, but I really don't
have much time to self-teach myself a whole new
language. That's the reason why I like Gambas : the
learning curve is smooth and I already know a fair bit
of Basic to begin with (we've had the same kind of
computing background, except that instead of going on,
at a point I chose to study law science).

-----
--
Manuel Viet