[Gambas-user] Returning an integer from an external function broken? Gambas 2.1.0 and 2.2.0

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Sun Feb 24 09:30:08 CET 2008

On dimanche 24 février 2008, Benoit Minisini wrote:
> On dimanche 24 février 2008, Audiossis wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >         Sorry to report that in Gambas 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 (Fedora 7),
> > returning an
> > integer from an external function appears to be broken.
> >
> > I updated from Gambas 2.0.0 where my code (see below) worked fine, to
> > Gambas
> > 2.1.0 where it no longer works, and then subsequently to Gambas 2.2.0
> > where
> > it still doesn't work.
> >
> > Snippet......
> >

> > PUBLIC rInit AS Integer
> > LIBRARY "libusb-0.1"
> >
> > PRIVATE EXTERN usb_init() AS Integer
> >
> > PUBLIC FUNCTION init()
> >
> >   rInit = usb_init()
> >
> > END
> >

> > In versions previous to Gambas 2.1.0 the external function returns an
> > integer
> > to the rInit variable, letting me know of the success or failure of the
> > libusb init routine.
> >
> > In Gambas 2.1.0 and above, this code returns the error "Type mismatch:
> > Wanted
> > Integer, got Function instead."
> >
> > This error is not related to the particular function being called and
> > happens
> > with ALL external functions I am calling from the libusb library. I
> > even
> > regressed back to Gambas 2.0.0 just to verify that I hadn't
> > accidentally
> > screwed up my code and sure enough the program started working again.
> >
> > Is this a bug with the new version? or has the syntax for returning an
> > integer/string/variant from an external function changed?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Ben
>
> This is a bug. What a shame if was not detected before...

I catched the guilty guy. Laurent found fun to disable the external function
management just for OpenBSD, but he actually disabled it for every OS! He
fixed the problem, but just after the release of Gambas 2.2.

Well let's make gambas 2.2.1...

--
Benoit Minisini