[Gambas-user] classic asp and vbscript compatibility

Laxminarayan AB topplereffect at ...1858...
Sun Feb 10 20:47:43 CET 2008

Hi all,

is there an attempt to make vbscript and jscript conversion or run directly
under gambas?

What i know so far:
- compiled gambas 2 from source - works fine
- saw the excellent set of examples, but gambas web runs as CGI, afaik
- have a long familiarity with MS VB, VB.Net

What i would like to see or do is gambas as an apache module or with a native
web server to host "ASP" applications. I know that writing a web server is
not an easy task.
I know that Gambas is not aiming to repeat the mistakes of VB. So, maybe the
VBScript API can be emulated by a wrapper over gb web, just to maintain
syntax compatiblity. Debugging and other things can be added while improving
the port. (Or does it need to be designed into new code?)

The need for ASP compatibility is that MS is trying to phase out ASP and there
is a ton of code in ASP. And many users of ASP. MS does not mind ditching
them or forcing them to learn ASP.Net.

ASP.Net is very slow and bloated. Also, Mono is handling ASP.Net on Linux.

The only other systems that run ASP 3.0 are the SUN Java System Active Server
Pages or the ActiveHTML component from selisoft.
The first one is Java, which needs  a J2EE server and the second is a closed
proprietary extension to ABYSS web server.
Halcyonsoft's  iASP seems to have gone off the web, untraceably!

I am not very skilled at systems programming, but i'm good at learning things.
Is this task easy or difficult? I'd be glad if someone gave a quick overview
od what would be required.
Also, if anyone is already working on this, there's no need to duplicate
effort. Other than that, whenever I get the time, I'm willing to help out in
any other way.

Regards,
Laxminarayan AB.

PS: gambas IDE and the example set is awesome. Just if we could make the IDE a
bit more polished, it would strike a chord with MS Windows RAD users.